Recipe by Kate in Katoomba
This wonderful cake is crisp on the outside and very gooey in the middle. It is easy to make, but relies on the use of seriously good chocolate. Preparation time does not include overnight chilling.
- 100 g dark unsweetened chocolate squares (such as Lindt)
- 100 g soft unsalted butter, plus extra to grease cake tin
- 4 medium eggs
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar
- 75 g self raising flour
- 50 g good white chocolate, chilled
- cherries, conserve
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dark chocolate in a mixing bowl and place over pan of simmering water and melt.
- Remove bowl from heat.
- Whisk butter and eggs, one at a time, then the yolks.
- Work in the sugar, then sift in the flour and whisk lightly.
- Butter (or line a pan with waxed paper), pour in mixture and chill overnight in the colderst part of the refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 230C/gas mark 8 and bake for 12 minutes until crip and crsuty.
- The inside should be very gooey.
- Leave to get cold before removing from the tin.
- Using a peeler, shave of shreds of chilled white chocolate and scatter over cake.
- Serve with warmed cherry conserve.