Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 min
On a cold day, this soup will fill your home with a wonderful smell. Double the recipe and freeze some for future use. Recipe is from the Simply Colorado Too! cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup dried lentils
- 1⁄4 cup dried split peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (undrained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, chopped (or color of your choice)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- red pepper
- 2 chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless (cubed)
- 7 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup lean ham, chopped
- Sort and rinse the lentils and split peas. Combine with the water, undrained tomatoes, beans, barley, onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, thyme and red pepper in a stock pot and mix well. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chicken, sausage and ham. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Ladle into soup bowls.