Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
When stuck inside during a snowstorm I threw this together using mostly canned ingredients and a few fresh veggies. The majority of the flavor comes from the Ranch Style Beans. If you don't have Ranch Style Beans try substituting with a can of chili. Yummy, definitely keeps you warm inside!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 large green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 2 -3 links Italian chicken sausage, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can ranch style beans (jalapenos optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) can hominy (samp)
- 1 (16 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (to taste) or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning (to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan. Add garlic and onion. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add green pepper to pan and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sausage to pan. Cook until mushrooms sweat.
- Add Ranch Style Beans, tomatoes and hominy, including liquid from beans and tomatoes. Drain hominy before adding and adjust consistency of stew by adding more liquid from hominy if needed.
- Bring to a simmer. Season to taste with black/red pepper and Mexican seasonings.
- Serve with rice, bread or warm tortillas.