Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mom's cousin had a catering business many years ago, and this was one of her most requested dishes. It is called Snow Salad because of its pure white and fluffy appearance, but it is not a traditional salad. I have served it at many parties and get-togethers and am always asked for the recipe. Give it a try--I think you'll love it as much as we do!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package unflavored gelatin, such as knox
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (4 3/4 ounce) packagesalada strawberry-flavor danish dessert mix
- 1 (10 ounce) carton frozen strawberries or 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water.
- Add boiling water and stir well to dissolve.
- Add sugar and vanilla.
- Stir to dissolve.
- Whisk in sour cream until mixture is smooth.
- Blend in Cool Whip with whisk.
- Pour mixture into large (6 cup) ring mold.
- Let set in refrigerator a few hours or overnight.
- For sauce, follow directions on Salada Danish Dessert package for making sauce.
- Add strawberries; mix well.
- To serve, unmold salad and serve with sauce in bowl in center.
- Slice salad and ladle sauce over each piece.
- Can also be poured into pecan or graham cracker crust and served as dessert.
- Can also use pie filling in place of sauce.