Recipe by ellie_
This is my favorite way to use up egg whites. Altough this cake starts out like anglefood cake, but in the end when the melted butter is folded into the batter it changes its texture and does not resemble an anglefood cake when baked. We like this simple cake dusted with powdered sugar and ground nuts. Recipe adapted from The Finnish Cookbook.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
The taste was good, I added in 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract.. this cake does not rise very much and is a bit dense, but it is delicious!... it will be enjoyed with fruit topping today! thanks ellie!...Kittencal:)
- 1 cup egg white (about 8)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- ground nuts, for dusting pan (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray tube or fancy cake pan with cooking spray and dust with sugar or ground nuts.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, slowly add sugar, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sift the flour and cornstarch into the egg white mixture, folding to combine well with rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Fold butter into cake mixture.
- Add extract.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for one hour at 350-degrees F or until done.
- Cake will not rise but feels firm to the touch when done.