Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this in an old copy of Delicious magazine, so simple to do and a great way to sneak extra vegies into the kids..
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 leek, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, chopped
- 220 g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed & grated
- 800 g roma canned whole tomatoes
- Heat oil over medium heat, add onion, leek, celery, zucchini and capsicum, cook covered for 10 mins or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pumpkin and cook, uncovered, for 5 mins or until soft, mushy & mixed in with other vegetables.
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt & pepper and bring to the boil.
- Simmer over low heat for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally, thern remove from heat & puree until smooth.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and a little water if necessary.
Useful and versatile sauce - now in the freezer !! I will use this on pasta further down the track. I used my home grown tomatoes instead of canned and only put a weeny bit of pumpkin in due to personal preference.