- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 36 slices rye cocktail bread
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomato paste, water, oregano, thyme, fennel and garlic salt; cook over low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon on each slice of bread.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.