Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great way to use up left over Chile Verde Con Cerdo (Green Chili With Pork). You can layer in leftover Spanish rice as well. Make this casserole lasagna style.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef roast, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 10 flour tortillas
- 2 cups green chili sauce (canned green enchilada sauce works well if you don't wish to make green chili)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- sour cream
- Brown the ground beef with the salt and pepper to taste (if using shredded meat that has already been cooked, skip this step.
- Mix the meat, beans and green chilies together.
- Cut the tortillas in half; lay them in a 9 x 13 rectangular pan, placing the cut edges square to the side of the pan, over lapping as needed.
- Spread 1/3 of the meat and bean mixture on top of tortillas.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce over the meat.
- Sprinkle on 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat layer once more.
- Add one more layer by adding tortillas and meat mixture.
- Top with another layer of tortillas; pour last cup of sauce over the tortilla covered casserole.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until hot and the cheese is melted.
- Top with lettuce and tomatoes.
- Serve with sour cream.