I got bored of all butternut squash soups being the same. When I picked up some black-eyed peas at the store today I remembered my new obsession with smoked paprika. This soup has some Spanish/Mexican type flavors and is hearty and filling. Vegetarian and easily made vegan by omitting the cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, divided in half
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup corn kernel, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- <1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1Pour oil into a medium soup pot and turn head to medium. Add shallots and cook over medium heat until slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- 2Add squash, 1/2 T of paprika, and cook another 7 minutes or so until it has absorbed the oil and softened.
- 3Add carrots, potato, broth, and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium and cook at a low boil for about 20 minutes, or until carrots fall apart when pierced with a fork.
- 4Turn off heat and allow the soup to cool a bit, about 10-15 minutes.
- 5When soup is slightly cooled, insert an immersion blender into the pot and puree all ingredients - this should only take about a minute to get a smooth puree. Return to medium heat and bring to a simmer again.
- 6While simmering, add the remaining paprika and other spices to taste. Careful not to use more than the barest dusting (really just a few granules) of cayenne or your soup will be very hot! This is just for zest, not for heat.
- 7Add peas, corn, and chopped pepper. Let cook for 5 more minutes on low heat.
- 8Add cream if desired, stir thoroughly, and check for seasonings. Add more spices to taste and lemon juice, then turn off heat. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Squash Soup With Black-Eyed Peas
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.7
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 349.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers