Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
The Mango Salsa is great with anything - mild, smoky or spicy off the barbecue. See what combination you can come up with this summer -
- 1 cedar plank, soaked in water for 3-4 hours
- 16 extra colossal freshwater shrimp, thawed and peeled
- 2 smoked chipotle peppers, minced
- 1⁄2 lime, juiced and zest
- 1 tablespoon .liquid honey
- sea salt
- 1 mango, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 green onions, washed, trimmed, and very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon liquid honey
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄2 lime, juiced
- sea salt and pepper
- Toss together the mango, red pepper, shallot, ginger, garlic and lime juice in a mixing bowl. Refrigerate until needed. (this can be made the day before if you like,) Before serving, let the mango salsa come to room temperature, mix in the green onions and season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Combine the shrimp, chipotle peppers, lime juice, lime zest, and honey in a large plastic freezer bag or bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat your grill at medium high on one side and medium low on the other with the lid closed. Set the soaked plank on the medium low side, close the lid and wait for smoke. When you see and smell the plank smoking,, quickly open the lid, ligfhtly brush the plank with oil and arrange the shrimp on the cedar plank.
- Close the lid and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through. They will be just firm to the touch and opaque in color.
- Remove the plank from the grill and set it on the stone, tile or baking tray (because there may be burning embers on the underside of the cedar board). Serve with Mango Salsa.
- (The smell of the smoking plank combined with the taste of the Smokin' Shrimp paired with the Mango Salsa will be a BBQ epiphany. Make the mango salsa the day before and refrigerate it overnight. This will allow all the flavors to mingle and give you one less thing to worry about when you are grilling the shrimp).