Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A hearty lentil soup made with Italian sausage.
Make and share this Smokey Sausage and Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1 lb) bag lentils
- 10 cups chicken stock, about 10 cup (I use chicken soup base for this, it's more cost effective. But that is your choice)
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 big softball sized onion, any type
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced. Preferably fire roasted
- 5 garlic cloves
- red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- italian seasoning (or oregano, basil, thyme and rosemary)
- Rinse your lentils very well and set aside.
- Dice your vegetables and garlic. Nice, small and even dice.
- Cook bacon. I do this in the oven, but it can be done in the pot as well. Just avoid excessive darkening as it makes a murky and bitter soup.
- Cook sausage. I always do this in the pot itself.
- Pour off all but about a tablespoon of fat. Chop and add cooked bacon, adding about a tablespoon of that fat as well.
- Add the vegetables and soften about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with seasonings, as desired.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add the chicken broth, leaving about 2 inches to allow for the displacement caused by the lentils. Bring to a boil.
- Add lentils, return to boil, then drop to simmer. Simmer on a medium low heat until lentils are tender and flavors blend.
- I do not add salt until the very end, as it frequently isn't necessary. I top with parmesan cheese. This freezes beautifully, which is good as it makes a lot of soup.