Recipe by Derf
Delicious appetizer!! The spices used in this can be changed to suit your taste, I have used just Dill weed at times, but I do like a little bite in it. Chill time 2 hours.
Top Review by Rita~
What a great appetizer!!! I have made this before but not with lemongrass and chili spice mix. I used fresh lemongrass the white only very finely sliced and for the chili spice I used my Hot Habanero sauce I made this summer!Just a couple of drops!!! Put cream cheese and salmon together, All I have to say is Yum !
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon spanish paprika, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemongrass and chili spice mix (Hot, more if you wish)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 8 -10 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor or blender, (or use an electric beater), combine cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic,onion, paprika, parsley and Lemongrass/chili.
- Process until combined and smooth.
- Spoon onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a 6 inch roll.
- Wrap salmon slices around cheese roll to cover, except ends.
- Roll to press salmon to cheese.
- Wrap tightly in new piece of plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Cut roll into 1/4 inch slices, serve on crackers or pieces of bagel.
- (If Lemongrass& Chilli is not available, (I was lucky enough to have a lovely person send me some from New Zealand, wonderful stuff!), use your favourite Hot spice.).
- An alternate way to do these, works well.
- Use unsliced, home smoked salmon, broken into small pieces and add to the mix after processing, so that there are little lumps of the smoked salmon. Roll in the plastic wrap and freeze until using. Then wrap very thin slices around roll after defrosting.
- You could even freeze the rolls without any salmon after wrapping and wrap with the slices of salmon when serving.