Prep 7 hrs
Cook 45 mins
I came across this recipe when looking for interesting ways to use the grill this summer and thought this sounded wonderful for a sumer supper with salad and fruit for dessert. Prep time includes marinating time (6-8 hours). Recipe source: Bon Appetit (August 1986)
For the smoked lamb
- 1 cup chopped rosemary
- 3⁄4 cup basil, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 lbs leg of lamb, boned, trimmed and butterflied
- salt and pepper
For the pesto mayonnaise
- 1 cup basil
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
For the Rosemary Mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- white pepper
For the grill or smoker
- wood chunks (applewood, oak or your favorite wood chunks for smoking)
- 2 cups wood chips (applewood, oak or alder chips, soaked in water to cover 30 minutes and drained)
For the sandwiches
- 1 large sourdough baguette, sliced diagnolly 1/2 inch thich
- olive oil
- 2 bunches watercress, long stems removed
- To make marinade for lamb in a food processor chop rosemary, basil and garlic together to form a paste. Pour oil through food tube. Spread marinade over lamb and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 6-8 hours (or overnight).
- To make mayonnaise: In a food processor combine basil, yolks and lemon juice and process until smooth (1 minute) and then slowly add oil through food tube. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and add nuts. Refrigerate until serving (can be made one day ahead).
- To make mustard: In a medium bowl or jar whisk together oil, mustard, rosemary, vinegar and white pepper until thick. Refrigerate until serving (can be prepared one day ahead), but serve at room temperature.
- Prepare barbeque with wood chunks. Cover and heat to 160-degrees F. Place lamb on rack, cover and smoke for 45-60 minutes, covered or until meat therometer reads 140-degrees F for medium rare. Remove lamb from gril and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
- To make sandwiches: brush both sides of bread slices with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to platter. Spread one side of each slice of bread with mayonnaise and top with watercress. Cut lamb across the grain into thin slices and place on top of watercress. Drizzle each sandwich with mustard. Serve.