3 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Cooking Crowe's Note:
A tender, slow-roasting lamb dish that is loaded with flavory goodness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In the an shallow aluminum tray combine the water, wood chips, and 1 tbl of the crushed mint. Stir a bit and set aside to soak while preparing the Lamb.
- 2Heat your grill to around 300 degrees and keep the lid closed.
- 3In a bowl, combine the vinegar, olive oil, the mint jelly, and the rest of the dried herbs. Whisk or blend until well mixed. Set aside.
- 4Unwrap the clean the lamb. Chop the garlic cloves into quarters. At even intervals, take a long, thin bladed knife and push about halfway into the lamb. You want to make small holes that reach around the center mass of the meat. Insert the garlic cloves into the holes.
- 5Baste some of the vinegar/herb mix onto the meat.
- 6Place a piece of foil tightly over the tray of wood chips and then with a toothpick, make evenly spaced, small holes in the top. Not too many though. Around 7 to 10 should do.
- 7Place in grill below rack on grill. Make sure to use oven mitts.
- 8Replace rack and place another piece of foil on the rack and place lamb in center of it. Curl up the sides of the foil to save any juices that will run off. This will aide in the smoking process.
- 9If you like more flavor, you can always shake on some more rosemary, garlic powder, or onion powder, but there should be plenty in the baste mix.
- 1010. Close lid and let cook for 45 minute Then turn the roast over, baste and cook for another 45 minute Be generous with your basting. It will increase the flavor in the smoke ring of the meat.
- 11Repeat at least 2 more times, depending how well-done you want your meat, but no more than 6 times or the meat will get over done and chewy. I like mine rare in the middle so I do a total of 3 hours of cooking time. (Until meat is about 160-170 degrees in the center).
- 12If you have a lot of baste mix left over after your last turn, just pour it into the foil directly under the lamb.
- 13Once cooked to your liking, remove lamb from grill and let stand for at least 15 minutes to let the juices redistribute.
- 14Slice up and enjoy. I like to eat mine with garlic and rosemary mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus, with mint jelly on the side. It also makes great cold lamb sandwiches.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Lamb Roast (Without a Smoker)
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 818.9
- Calories from Fat 549
- Total Fat 61.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 180.0 mg
- Sodium 1896.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 49.1 g