Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mother would make a special breakfast on occasion of fresh smoked kippers and scrambled eggs served with lashings of hot buttered toast and mugs of steaming tea. Kippers are not just breakfast food but can be served for lunch or supper.
- 2 kippered herring fillets
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- white pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 slices whole wheat toast (per person)
- 1⁄2 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a large skillet on low heat melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add the kippers cooking 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, curry powder, milk, 1 tablespoon of butter salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into another frying pan/skillet and on low heat gently scramble the eggs.
- Serve with the hot buttered toast and lemon wedges.
DH and I love kippers, this was a great breakfast, I added 1/4 teaspoon of curry as I was not sure DH would like curried eggs!!! We both enjoyed them! Nice recipe Sue, even though I had to use canned kippers, a nice little recipe. 9/28/09 kippers for breakfast once again!! I prepared the kippers using 1/2 cup of milk and butter in a skillet, which is how DH likes them cooked. Skipped the eggs and served the kippers with toast. Prepared for the Virtual Culinary Cruise: British Isles & Ireland for SCOTLAND!!