- 3 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
- 3⁄4 lb shredded smoked gouda cheese
- fresh ground white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan and add the butter, cream, and cheese.
- Mash the potatoes, stirring to incorporate the seasonings.
- Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper. Serve warm.