Philly Cheesesteak - Emeril Lagasse
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Emeril Lagasse, 2002
- Ready In:
- 2 fresh Italian rolls or 2 kaiser rolls, split in half crosswise
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb rib eye steak, very very thinly shaved
- 1⁄3 1/3 lb provolone cheese or 4 ounces melted Cheese Whiz
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. When hot add the oil, onions and bell peppers, and cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Push off to 1 side of the griddle.
- Warm rolls in oven.
- Add the meat to the hot pan and cook, stirring and breaking up with the back of 2 metal spatulas, until almost no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Mix in the Sauteed vegetables. Top with cheese slices and melt. Spoon the cheesy meat mixture into the warm buns and serve immediately with condiments of choice or Put the meat in the bun and dip the spatula in the cheese whiz and then wipe the spatula down the inside of the bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We'll be using this for our standard recipe for Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches for now on (with Provolone cheese). Yum, yum! But I'm a bit confused about the recipe directions. What is the purpose of pre-heating the oven to 200 degrees? According to the recipe directions, all of the cooking is done on the stove. There are no instructions to put anything in the oven, so why pre-heat the oven? Did I miss something?Reply