Recipe by Vina
This recipe comes from "Best of the Best From the Great Plains Cookbook". I'm publishing it in honor of one of Zaar's members who, sadly, has a disability making her incapable of appreciating venison. How this occurred is open to debate, as she was originally a Minnesota girl and should not be suffering so. The opinion among some is that it is a side effect of a unique, spiritual, liquid fast that she assiduously practices. It is my hope that this recipe will cure her affliction. (The long preparation and cooking times are for marinating and smoking the ham. Despite the joking description, this really is pretty good.)
- 1 (5 lb) venison butt, neatly trimmed.
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all ingredients, except venison.
- Place venison in a large container with a tight fitting lid (or use self-stick cling film).
- Poke holes with a narrow bladed knife throughout the meat and cover with the mixture of remaining ingredients.
- Cover well, refrigerate, and marinate at least 10 hours.
- Put on smoker and allow to smoke for 6 hours.
- Turn over and smoke for at least another 4 hours and up to 6 hours.