Recipe by Elly in Canada
The owner of the Clair de Lune restaurant located in the heart of Ottawa's Byward Market in Ontario served this to his many well-known patrons; when he retired and closed his restaurant he shared this famous recipe, a favourite of our late prime minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau. Source: a news article on the internet.
Top Review by French Tart
C'est formidable ! This was AMAZING! I made it EXACTLY as posted with one small exception, I like my rillettes to be packed into a jar and not made into a smooth pate type texture, so I left the mixture rough, as rillettes are in France. The flavours were beautiful, and both types of salmon still retained their individual flavours. This is a recipe which I will be making many times in the future; I DO have my own smoked fish rillettes recipe, but this one is a little different - so between the two that will cover most dinner parties, celebratory meals and picnics! Made for PAC spring 2008. Elly, this was beautiful, thanks! FT:-)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb fresh wild boneless salmon fillet (may use Atlantic or Pacific)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 shallots
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh chives
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted clarified butter (one stick of butter)
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: All ingredients must be at room temperature. Chilling time of 6 hours not included in cook time.
- Brush olive oil over fresh salmon; wrap in aluminum foil and cook in oven preheated to 400 degreesF (200 degreesC) for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Break up cooked salmon by hand into smaller chunks of about 1/2 inch (12 mm). Cut smoked salmon into similar-size pieces.
- Chop shallots, capers and chives and hand mix in a stainless steel bowl with cooked salmon, smoked salmon, yogurt, lime juice and clarified butter.
- Mix in Tabasco, then place mixture in a 4-cup (1-L) terrine mould and refrigerate, covered, 6 hours.
- Serve sliced 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick with Pommeroy Mustard Mayonnaise (3 parts mayonnaise to 1 part grainy mustard).