French Canadian Meat Turkey Stuffing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
15 lbs. turkey
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 4 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup rice
- 1 inner pack saltines (optional) or 1 Ritz cracker, crushed (optional)
- 5 slices of toasted bread, cut in cubes (optional)
- water (1 inch on bottom of pan) or broth (1 inch on bottom of pan)
- Put all ingredients in large pan except crackers. Cook on medium heat until meat is well cooked, approximately one hour stirring occasionally, so it will not stick to bottom of pan. Add 1 ladle of turkey drippings.
- Simmer for 20 minutes and drain 3/4 of liquid from pan. Add rice (or crushed crackers or bread cubes instead of the rice) until the rest of liquid is absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store the stuffing in refrigerator overnight to get more flavor and then stuff the turkey.
- NOTE: Dreamer in Ontario wrote:.
- "I think that pinkie kookie's recipe sounds close if I use rice in place of the bread and/or crackers.".
- I wrote: "Your idea of adding rice instead of the crackers and bread is excellent, Dreamer in Ontario. That is what the recipes are for, to add our own ingredients and ideas. Enjoy it.".
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I learned how to cook since I was young helping my dear Mom in the kitchen. Also like to combine ideas or ingredients from different recipes to create some of my own, so my dear husband and my family enjoy what I cook.