Recipe by sasha's kitchen
I've been making this refried beans many times for my Mexican dinner combo,sometimes I use pinto beans,sometimes I use red beans,depends on what I have in my kitchen,whatever beans I use,it's always very tasty.Before I cooked beans on the stove top,and I had to keep an eye on it all the time and add water many times in case it got burned.but now I use slow cooker which enhances the flavor big time and you can do other things while it's cooking,give it a try!
- 1 cup dried pinto bean, soaked over night (or red beans or mixture)
- 1⁄4 big onion, half of them quartered, the other half finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, 2 whole and 2 finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans,quartered onion, 2 garlic cloves and 2 cups water in a slow cooker,let cook on automatic setting for 4 hours.let cool.then puree the bean mixture in a blender.
- In a large sauce pan,melt lard,when it's hot,cook chopped onion,garlic and green chili for 3 minutes,or until tender and fragrant.
- Pour in blended bean mixture,season with salt,pepper and cumin,cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until it thickens,stir constantly.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese when ready to serve.It's a perfect side dish for tacos,enchiladas and mexican rice,leftover can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days,just microwave it on high heat for 1-2 minutes.