Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A hearty soup that is only 4 WW points. Just throw the ingredients in your slow cooker. What more can you want - a meal prepared when you get home. I usually have the bread machine set so the bread is done along with the soup when it is time to eat.
- 1 (16 ounce) packagegumbo frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 ounces turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cajun-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt-free extra-spicy seasoning
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice, cooked without salt or fat
- Place first 6 ingredients in a 3 1/2 qt. electric slow cooker; stir well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hrs. OR cover and cook on HIGH 1 hr. then reduce to LOW and cook 7 hrs.
- Stir in cooked rice during last 30 min. of cooking time.
I couldn't find gumbo vegetables either, but I used "Santa Fe" style ones with beans and broccoli and bell peppers with good results. I also added one small can of tomato paste to the broth about halfway through the cooking time, just because the broth seemed to need something. The results were outstanding! I'm usually bad about eating leftovers, but I had this soup for lunch and dinner two days in a row. My only criticism is that the rice absorbed a lot of the liquid, so after the first meal it was more like jambalaya than soup. Not a bad thing, though - it was delicious!
This recipe caught my eye because it used the WW point system, so i decieded to make it. However I couldnt find gumbo veg and kielbasa or cajun tomatoes. So i made it more like an itallian soup with "itallian frozen veg", Itallian stewed tomatoes and garlic spice. so although i didnt follow your recipe to the "t" it was still a great soup and worked well. Thanks