Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
We love shredded chicken...I will often make large batches of it and freeze in meal size portions. This makes chicken tacos, enchiladas and other favorite chicken meals all that much faster to get on the table. For this chicken, I used what I had on hand in the freezer. I dropped a package of chicken breasts and a package of chicken thighs into the slow cooker...a good mix of white and dark meat! Along with some lime juice, olive oil and big hunks of cilantro and bam...Seriously y'all...the cilantro flavor totally infused into the chicken as it cooked all day. Perfect for using in your favorite Mexican chicken dish. Also, I should add that I got a large batch of cilantro for just $0.29!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 1 lb chicken thigh, boneless skinless
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Once cooking is complete, use 2 forks to pull the chicken apart. Pull out any long cilantro stems, if necessary.
- Serve Cilantro-Lime Shredded Chicken in favorite chicken recipes.
- (Portion out chicken into meal size portions and place in freezer baggies and freeze for future use.).
- Cost me $5.56 for 3-4 meals worth of shredded chicken.