Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I have had this recipe for many years and always receive compliments on it. Please decrease spice if you do not like spicy or add extra if you like.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk hot sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck (or ground round may be used)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (can use less)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (30 ounce) can hot chili beans, undrained (can use mild)
- corn chips (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In large skillet, brown meat. Drain.
- In slow cooker, combine browned meat and remaining ingredients EXCEPT beans. Stir well.
- Cook on high setting for 1 hour. Reduce to low and cook 3 hours to allow flavors to blend. You can also let mixture cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Add chili beans. Cook on low setting for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve in bowls and add Frito's and shredded cheese if desired.
This is absolutely delicious!!! My hubby is the chili expert in our family so even if I like it, I always peg it to his opinion.. Well he gave it a huge thumbs up and ate 3 plates I think that says it all. I loved it as well and I particularly loved the addition of the hot sausage, would never have thought of this and it really added to the chili. I also added the optional jalapeno pepper. This for us was excellent and had just the right amount of heat with every bite. We served ours topped with sour cream and cheese. Perfect chili happynana and has gone straight into our favourites..