I have had this recipe for many years and always receive compliments on it. Please decrease spice if you do not like spicy or add extra if you like.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk hot sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck (or ground round may be used)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (can use less)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (30 ounce) can hot chili beans, undrained (can use mild)
- corn chips (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In large skillet, brown meat. Drain.
- In slow cooker, combine browned meat and remaining ingredients EXCEPT beans. Stir well.
- Cook on high setting for 1 hour. Reduce to low and cook 3 hours to allow flavors to blend. You can also let mixture cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Add chili beans. Cook on low setting for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve in bowls and add Frito's and shredded cheese if desired.