Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Can't wait to try this aromatic dish! I love my slow cooker because I can brown the meat in it and then switch to slow cooker mode. Whether or not you have to brown the meat separately or not, this seems to be a very easy, yet flavorful, dish.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, cut into cubes, about 2 pounds in total)
- 2 onions, finely chopped (plus extra to garnish)
- 1 -2 green chili (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot (peeled and finely chopped)
- 5 tablespoons korma curry paste
- 1 cup coconut cream (or coconut milk)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary. Heat the oil in a skillet, add the chicken a few pieces at a time until they are all in the pan, then fry, stirring, until golden. Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon and put it in the slow cooker pot.
- Add the onions, chilies, ginger and curry paste to the pan and fry, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the coconut cream or milk, stock, and ground almonds. Tear half the cilantro into pieces and add to the sauce with a little salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring, then spoon over the chicken.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir the korma, then ladle it into bowls, top with spoonfuls of yogurt, the tomatoes and extra raw onion and the remaining cilantro torn into small pieces. Serve with warm chapattis.
We really liked this dish; I omitted the chilies because my curry paste is very hot already. I added 1 tbsp of fish sauce to the dish and used coconut milk instead of cream. Next time I will make it in a regular pot, since the full dish was already combined in the pot. I dont think there will be any difference other than if you dont have the time for the dish to sit 34-60 min on the stove. Chicken breast would also work well.