Bangledeshi Style Chicken Korma
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (Greek style)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- boiling water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden raisin
- 2 green bird's eye chilies
For the garnish
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon golden raisin (optional)
- 2 shallots, sliced thin and fried crisp (in oil)
- Combine yogurt, ginger, and garlic; add chicken and marinate for one hour, up to a day.
- Heat the ghee and oil in saucepan set over medium heat; add onions and saute until they begin to caramelize.
- Stir in cinnamon, cardamom, and the bay leaf; add marinated chicken and season with salt.
- Increase the heat to medium high; the heat will create a sauce from the marinade.
- Cook, stirring often to prevent sticking and/or browning, for 10 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle in the boiling water until the chicken is nearly submerged (the amount of liquid given off will vary according to your particular chicken).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, ground almonds, sugar, raisins, and green chilies; cover and cook another 5 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Garnish with slivered almonds, more raisins (if desired), and crispy shallots.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span> </span></p> <p>We may live without poetry, music and art;</p> <p> </p> <p>We may live without conscience and live without heart;</p> <p>We may live without friends; we may live without books,</p> <p>But civilized man cannot live without cooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>He may live without books -- what is knowledge but grieving?</p> <p>He may live without hope-- what is hope but deceiving?</p> <p>He may live without love -- what is passion but pining?</p> <p>But where is the man that can live without dining?</p> <p>-- Owen Meredith</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm an all-American original, having lived in Hawaii, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Miami. I also served 7 years in the US Army. My husband is from Bogota, Colombia and has also lived in the former Soviet Union. But now we are both in NY.</p> <p> </p> <p>Tomasi enjoyes a bath!</p> <p><br /><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view&current=tomas.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/tomas.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br />Some of my recipes:</p> <p> <object width=480 height=360 data=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw type=application/x-shockwave-flash> <param name=data value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=src value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=wmode value=transparent /> </object> <a href=http://photobucket.com/slideshows target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif alt=/ /></a><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view?t=12cdcf0a.pbw target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif alt=/ /></a> <br /> <br /> <br />I also have the genealogy bug! I've been tracing my roots for at least 10 years. One branch came to America just after the Mayflower in the early 1600s. Others came in the early 1700s, late 1890s. So, my American roots run pretty deep and I am deeply patriotic. Just wish someone had thought to same me some land!</p>