Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is a variation of one that was developed by three employees of NESCO, the slow cooker manufacturer.
- 5 lbs 95% lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat a 12 quart roaster oven to 400 degrees.
- Add and brown the following ingredients with the cover on, stirring occasionally until evenly browned: ground beef, onions, garlic, and black pepper.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add the green pepper, red pepper, jalepano pepper, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato soup, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, brown sugar, and cilantro.
- Combine all ingredients until well mixed.
- Turn down the heat to 250 degrees for 1-3 hours, the longer the better.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with finely shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped onion, and/or chopped chilis.
So easy, sooo good. I made a much smaller amount and used tomato sauce rather than the soup and paste. Only other change I made was to add salt. The seasoning was just fine for our tastes.