Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
You'll be able to find the Shaoxing wine in this recipe in your local Chinese supermarket. But don't fret if you can't find it, there are quite a few things you can substitute.
- 6 chicken pieces, on the bone
- peanut oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 -3 inches fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 500 ml chicken or 500 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons shaoxing wine (dry sherry, sake or dry vermouth can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 whole star anise
- Warm a couple spoonfuls of groundnut oil in a heavy pan.
- Lower in the chicken pieces and leave them to brown, turning when one side is golden.
- Lift them out and set aside in a dish.
- Meanwhile, peel the onion and cut it in half.
- Then cut each half into six slices from tip to root.
- Stir the onion into the oil and leave it to soften.
- Return the chicken to the pot as well as the remaining ingredients.
- Bring everything to a boil, then turn down the heat so the liquid simmers gently.
- Cover with a lid and leave for an hour, turning the chicken just once.
- Serve with lots of sauce and some steamed greens.