Recipe by justcallmetoni
Ran out of curry powder recently and replaced it not once but twice. My surplus of this spice blend sent me in a hunt for ways to enjoy my bounty. This is a reduced fat adaptation of a recipe from BHG. I just love slow cooker recipes for the ease of dump and run cooking. This one is a bit more involved since you need to prepare the lighter substitute for coconut milk. If you are not concerned about fat or calories, feel free to use regular or light coconut milk instead. A wonderful, rich flavored curry for just 5 WW points that is even better the next day.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups small red potatoes, scrubbed (halved or quartered)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, cut 1/4 inch thick on the bias
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cooking apple (make big chunks so they do not dissolve)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (amount is to taste)
- 1 teaspoon instant low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled (minced or grated)
Faux Coconut milk
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄4-3⁄8 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄4 cup currants (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl or plastic bag combine flour, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Add chicken cubes in three parts and shake to coat.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, apple, onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, ginger, and chicken bouillon. Top with chicken. Pour water over chicken mixture.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- To make faux coconut milk combine cornstarch and 3 tablespoon of evaporated milk in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk to mix, removing all lumps. Add remaining milk and cook just until milk thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add extract.
- About 15 minutes before serving, turn slow-cooker to high setting if not already there. Stir faux coconut milk into chicken mixture. Recover cook for 15 minutes more.
- Serve over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins if desired.