Slow Cooked Madras Chicken Curry (Crock Pot)
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 55mins
- 2 small onions, finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, finely diced (about 1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 3⁄4 cup mango chutney
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 granny smith apple, cut into medium to large chunks (I did tenths and halved them)
- Lightly spray the interior of your crock pot with a light coating of cooking spray for easier clean up later.
- Cover the bottom of pot with the onions, garlic and jalapeños. Top with the chicken breasts. (Please make sure the onions are finely chopped as the desired result is to have them melt into the sauce.).
- Combine the curry powder, chutney, tomato paste and ginger together and pour over the chicken.
- Place the apples on top.
- Cook for 4-5 hours on high until the chicken is cooked and tender but not falling apart. Mix the sauce together so that all elements are blended. If you want a thicker sauce, remove the chicken from the crock pot and stir in a teaspoon or two of cornstarch and cook until the sauce is glossy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this a few weeks ago & froze it, thawed out the other day for dinner...the family was divided on this one... I loved the sweet curry flavour but hubby wasn't sold on it, he prefers a more "tongue burning" version...little miss drowned hers in cream to cut the heat...was lovely & simple to do..thanks for posting!
All I can say is WOW! This was so delicious! My daughter is homeschooled and she is doing and apple theme yet she also has a cooking class. I thought this recipe might be neat because we could break out the crock pot and learn the impotance of it. We had a great time preparing this one together and it was so good I have already put it on the menu for when my parents come in form Texas next month. Thank you so much!!!! Keep them coming!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I come from a long line of wonderful cooks and doing my best to hold up that tradition. My great-grandparents owned a coffee shop; my Nana was also a great cook and started the tradition of baking around the holidays, both cookies and fruitcakes. After she died, now a decade ago, our family decided to continue in her honor. The picture above is my mother's (Chef Hot Pans) dining room table just before we packed up our Christmas cookie trays. More that 20 kinds of cookies, many of which are from 'Zaar recipes. <br /> <br />I myself am an amateur cook with a penchant for ethnic foods and spice. Currently reforming my menu in favor of healthy dishes lower in fat with lots of grains and vegetables. My favorite cuisines are Mexican, Southwestern and North African. <br /> <br /> <br />Some of my favorite public cookbooks include:</p> <li>ladypit's <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/mycookbook/book/33588> WW Core Recipes I Have Tried </a> </li> <p> </p> <li>shirl(j)831's <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/mycookbook/book/34888> Can this really be lowfat??? </a> </li> <p> </p> <li>julesong's <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/mycookbook/book/30566> Cooking Light Recipes </a> </li> <p> </p> <li>mariposa13's <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/mycookbook/book/44690> WW & Lowfat Recipes </a> </li> <p><br /><img src=http://members.aol.com/sdnt4life/dpg.gif alt=Dirty /> <br /><a href=http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/?action=view&current=kitchen-special-hot2-1.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/kitchen-special-hot2-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Animation1.gif alt=Image /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/4treasurehunt.gif alt=FFF#2 width=50% /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/purplechefhat.gif alt=Image /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg alt=Image /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Adopted /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=PAC /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZaarWorldTourFirst.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt=/ /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedHostChallengeBanner.gif alt=ZWT3 /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG alt=width=50% /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/cookbookswap.jpg alt=/ /></p>