Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy homemade Sloppy Joes from Ellie Krieger. I enjoyed the addition of the pinto beans and red pepper. Filling and good for you!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce, no salt added
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Brown the meat and onion in a large non-stick skillet over med-high heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks.
- Pour the drippings out of the pan.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno and red pepper and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Serve 1/2 cup scoop of the mixture onto each bun and serve.