VERY basic sloppy joes recipe that is served in pita pockets...Considerably less messy to eat than the usual sloppy joes that are served in hamburger buns...In addition I've lightened the original recipe by using ground turkey, used a low-sodium version of the canned soup and gone low-fat on the cheese...Serve with a tossed green salad!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brown ground turkey in a large skillet in the oil over low heat for 5 min, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- 2Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked ground turkey to a bowl, leaving the remaining oil in the skillet for additional use.
- 3In the same skillet, in the hreserved oil, saute onions on medium heat for 5 min (use more olive oil IF needed).
- 4Return the meat to the skillet and add the soup mix and the tomato soup.
- 5Reduce the heat to low and simmer 5 min, stirring often.
- 6To serve: Cut open pita pockets; spoon in mixture; top with shredded swiss cheese.
- 7Variation: Swap out the swiss cheese for another kind of cheese such as mozzarella, cheddar or monterey jack.
- 8NOTE: prep time covers the onion chopping; cook time covers the remainder of the preparation.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sloppy Joes Pita Pockets
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.1
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 116.1 mg
- Sodium 893.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 29.0 g