Recipe by BurtonFanatic
Not just for the lunchroom anymore. These Sloppy Joes are given an extra boost with some surprise ingredients. From SparkPeople.com. NUTRITION INFO Calories: 429 Fat: 11.3 g Carbohydrates: 63 g Protein: 22.9 g
Top Review by So Cal Gal
Of the several sloppy joe recipes I've tried, this one is by far the best!! The vegetables really add a lot of flavor and texture, as well as lower the calorie total and boost the nutrition. Plus this is so easy to make! Thanks BurtonFanatic for a winner!!!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions, carrot, green pepper and ground turkey or chicken in a pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, barbecue sauce and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick.
- Serve on toasted or plain buns.