Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
An easy dish taken from the Cook Yourself Thin TV series. This is easily adapted to accommodate the contents of your fridge.
- 175 g medium egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 175 g bean sprouts
- 175 g mange-touts peas
- 225 g chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 10 g grated gingerroot
- 5 g five-spice powder
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Put a piece of foil 30 x 40 cm onto a baking sheet and brush the centre with 1 tsp of the oil.
- Place the chicken side by side onto the centre of the foil and sprinkle with 30 ml water. Close the foil around the chicken to make a loose but tightly closed parcel.
- Bake the chicken for 30-35 minutes until cooked through. Allow to cool slightly, shred and set aside.
- Thinly slice the onion, garlic and ginger. Ttop and tail the mange tout.
- Cook the noodle in a large pan of salted water according to packet instructions.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok or large pan and stir fry the onion and ginger over high heat until soft. Add the garlic, bean sprouts and mange tout and five spice. Fry for 1 minute.
- Drain the noodles well, add to the wok with the chicken and soy sauce. Stir fry a further 2 minutes or so until piping hot, and then serve.
DH and I really enjoyed this light meal. I left out the bean sprouts (personal prefrence) and used snow peas. I did add a little lime juice as other suggested and it really did brighten up the dish! Thanks for posting! [Made for PRMR Tag February 2010]
We enjoyed this for lunch today. I do wish I had taken lindseylcw suggestion and added some cilantro and lime juice. It just needs something to give it a wow and I think that would have done it. Or maybe some pepper flakes. I guess I will just have to make it again. Thanks for posting. I did get 3 good size servings. :)
This is a very nice, fresh tasting dish. I added some fresh coriander (I just love it)and a spritz of fresh lime juice before serving and it really seemed to pick the dish up. Will definately make again thanks Noo. Made for zaar tag.