I invented this tonight. It is an Italian flavored stew of sorts. Very tasty over brown rice. I knew the flavors I wanted but didn't have a recipe to follow so went with my instict. I think I did a good job. There are a lot of steps here but this is a very simple recipe. This (with the brown rice) was a great meal but it would be equally as good as a side to a simple grilled steak or grilled chicken or just on its own. I imagine you could also stuff this into a good Italian bread for a yummy sandwich, maybe with some provalone or mozzarella cheese melted over the top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 eggplant
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- salt and pepper, to taste and as needed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1Cut eggplant in quarters then into thin, bite size slices.
- 2Chop the kale and descard the tough bottom part of the stems.
- 3Cut onion into quarter and then slice thin.
- 4Chop garlic.
- 5Warm olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet (I use an electric one).
- 6Add onion and a little salt. The salt will keep the onion from getting too brown too quick.
- 7Cook until it gets soft and starts to brown and then add the eggplant, kale and garlic.
- 8Stir and add the fennel, seasoned salt, sage and oregano.
- 9Stir to combine and when the garlic starts to lightly brown add the broth.
- 10Let bubble and stir until all the liquid evaporated then add the marinata sauce.
- 11Stir to combine and warm sauce.
- 12Drain the beans and rinse well. Add the beans and stir gently. Cook to warm through.
- 13Remove from heat and toss well with the balsamic vinegar.
- 14Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Eggplant, Kale and Beans
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.4
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 167.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 14.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: