Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of my favorite quick-fix meals.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Pound each chicken breast to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Combine flour and pepper and dip chicken into mixture, coating evenly.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute chicken in oil until browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add garlic, peppers and onions to skillet and saute until crisp-tender.
- Return chicken to the skillet.
- Add tomatoes, basil and zucchini and heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Top the chicken with mozzarella and parmesan and simmer until cheese melts.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
This recipe is almost exactly the same as our favorite two nighter that I've been making for years. It came out of a low-fat magazine I once had but no longer need as I have this one memorized. Only difference is the addition of basil which I may try but it's not necessary imo. This is my DH's favorite meal. We usually have it the first night with penne and linguine the second night. It's really great recipe, I'm so glad I found this one posted already so I can use it for my shopping list. Thanks!
EXCELLENT recipe! I prepared it in a dutch oven, added 3 oz of tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water. Makes a large quantity....great for leftovers. I served it over cooked white rice. Great flavor. Prepared for Aus/NZ Swap #16, May 2008.