Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple pie crust recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled in about 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons shortening, chilled in about 4 pieces
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- Whisk together flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Rub in butter and shortening with your fingertips until mixture is very coarse, but no pieces larger than a large pea remain.
- Using a fork, stir in ice water until dough almost comes together into a ball.
- Press dough into a ball with your hands and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 30-60 minutes before using.
- To prebake, preheat oven to 375°F Roll dough out to fit a 9-inch pie pan and trim the crust. Prick the bottom with a fork a few times.
- Line the inside of the crust with aluminum foil, not covering the edges, and fill with pie weights or about 2 cups of dried beans.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until very lightly browned.
- Remove foil and weights and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until medium brown at the edges.
- Set aside to cool.