Recipe by Rita~
A nice HOUSE WARMING GIFT! Serve with vanilla ice cream. My choice of apples are granny smiths but use what you like. You can also add 1/4 cup rum soaked raisins to the filling.
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 6 cups apples, sliced and peeled
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except crust, butter and 1/4 teaspoon sugar.
- Place 1 crust into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Fill with apple mixture.
- Dot with butter.
- Place second layer over filling and fold edges under bottom and pinch them together.
- Cut slits in a couple place on top.
- Brush with water and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425°F for 40- 50 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.