Pumpkin Pear Bisque With Creme Fraiche
- Ready In:
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 canned pear halves
- 1 cup pear syrup, from canned pears
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- creme fraiche
- Cook leeks and onion in hot margarine or butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour. Carefully add chicken broth all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in pumpkin, vanilla bean (if using), salt, pepper, and the 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Return to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Remove vanilla bean; discard. Add pear halves and pear liquid to pan.
- Process mixture in three or four batches in a food processor bowl or blender container until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in light cream and vanilla extract, if using. Heat through, but do not boil.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with a spoonful of Creme Fraiche; sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">