Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Veg. Soc 2006 "Saints" Christmas menu.
- 175 g camargue red rice
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 150 g red onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons raisins
- 100 g vegetarian feta cheese, in small dice
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 butternut squash (long fat-stem if possible)
- 2 large red peppers, each cut into 8 thick slices
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 100 g good quality cranberry sauce
- 1⁄2 small lemon, juice of
- Bring the rice to the boil in a medium sized saucepan and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, ensuring it still has some “bite”.
- Using 1 tbsp of the olive oil, sauté the onion until soft and starting to caramelise. Add the spices and raisins and cook for a further 2 minutes. Combine this mixture together with the cooked rice, feta and parsley. (If making vegan, replace the feta with the pine nuts).
- Peel the stem of the squash with a vegetable peeler and cut into 8 circles approx 1 cm thick and 8-9 cm diameter. Parboil for 2-3 minutes to soften slightly.
- Heat a large ridged grill pan. Mix the remaining 1 tbsp oil with the vinegar and brush the squash and peppers with this before char grilling. Keep the cooked vegetables warm in a low oven until ready to assemble the stacks.
- Melt the cranberry sauce in a small saucepan, adding a tbsp of water if it is very thick. Once warm add the lemon juice and sieve to remove any large pieces.
- To assemble the stacks place one squash circle in the centre of a dinner plate. Place a 8.5cm ring over/on top of it and press in a quarter of the rice mixture. On top of this place a second circle and decoratively pile a quarter of the grilled peppers. Drizzle over 1-2 tbsp of sauce.