Recipe by draitz
A combination of different recipes. I couldn't find any one recipe that tasted the way I like bean soup. Try it you will like it.
Top Review by rfcarpenter_12532892
Wonderful Recipe.... Rich and hearty with plenty of flavor. I copied the recipe EXACTLY the first couple of times and the replaced the HAM with Smoked Jalapeno Sausage (1 full link... about a pound).... I also threw in fresh garlic (4 toes).... Served with fresh cornbread in a bowl with fresh chopped onions and a hearty pat of BUTTER............. Awesome!.... It won't last long!!!
- 1 lb navy beans
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 cup ham, chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 -2 carrot, diced
- 1 -2 stalk celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 -12 peppercorns, in a teaball stainer
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and sort out navy beans.
- In a crock pot cover beans with 4 cups of chicken broth and soak overnight.
- Next day: Do not drain off broth.
- Add 2 more cups of chicken broth.
- Add remaining ingredients .
- Cook on high 3 to 4 hours until ham hocks become tender.
- Remove meat from hocks and cut into small pieces,return to mixture.
- Continue cooking on low for another 6 to 8 hours.
- You may have to add additional chicken broth if soup too thick. If too thin add instant potatoes.