Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
A friend requested a carrot cake for his wife's birth day. I was so nervous, as I am known for my cakes, but I had never made one. I found this recipe in a cookbook that my MIL's church had put together as a missions fund raiser. It was such a hit, that I have made it for the same couple repeatedly and we enjoy it on special occasions with our family as well.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped
Dreamy Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (1 lb) packages powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Cream oil and sugar together with an electric mixer.
- In a seperate bowl sift together all dry ingredients.
- Add eggs and dry mixture alternately, beating to combine after each addition.
- Stir in carrots and pecans by hand.
- Prepare 3, 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a 350 pre-heated oven for 35 minutes.
- Cream butter and cream cheese together.
- Blend in powdered sugar.
- Beat until smooth, creamy and dreamy.
- When cakes are completely cooled Ice tops only as you stack the 3 layers.
- When assembled, frost top and sides with a hearty layer of the frosting.
- Garnish with additional chopped pecans if desired.