Recipe by Lori Mama
I saw this simple recipe being made on the CBC Network "Best Recipes Ever" program. I just made a slight adjustment.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
This gets 5 stars just for ease of prep. It's such a nice creamy, cheesy recipe for those nights when you need something fast and warm. I can see all kinds of possibilities for this. Maybe add some garlic to the onions, some chopped ham, or even topping w/more grated cheese and toasting in the oven for a few minutes. YUM!! Liked the addition of the mustard and cayeene pepper and think you could use a mix of differant cheeses. This time I made as directed with the exception of using bow tie mac as I didn't have elbow here. We'll be using this one often I can tell. Made for Every Days a Holiday tag game 2013
- 2 cups elbow shaped pasta, cooked
- 1⁄2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, hot
- 2 teaspoons stone ground dijon mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saute pan, over medium heat, cook the onions in the butter until softened.
- Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the mustard and cayenne.
- Continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the hot milk, whisk and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Combine the sauce and the macaroni, along with the parsley.
- Let stand 5 minutes off the heat with the lid on.