Grilled Swordfish Sicilian-Style
photo by Mamas Kitchen Hope
- Ready In:
- Preheat grill on high (or preheat the broiler on high).
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice with the salt until the salt dissolves. Stir in the oregano. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and season generously with pepper.
- Grill the swordfish steaks over high heat (as close to the heat as possible), turning once, until cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the fish to a platter. Prick each fish steak in several places with a fork to allow the sauce to penetrate.
- Using a spoon, beat the sauce, then drizzle it over the fish.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Three cheers and 5 stars for the genius of Marcella Hazan (original creator of this recipe). It could not be simpler or more delicious, but caution: use 1tsp salt at first and add more to your taste. I also urge you to use fresh oregano (not dried), because that's the really special aspect of this dish. Use fresh fish of course -- and I used all the sauce on only 1.5lbs! ;-)
This has so much flavor from such simple ingredients! I love it! I had everything on hand, except the swordfish! Our dear January Bride said it was perfectly fine to substitute shark! What a doll! This imparted such a great and easy flavor! Definitely use fresh oregano here if you can. I am lucky to have a large plant growing outside and am constantly amazed at the freshness it lends! This is a great recipe that is simplicity at its best! Would be easy to adjust this a tad to add some garlic or even some pepper flakes for a little heat. Delicious! I grilled this outside which kept my kitchen nice and cool! Another plus! Thanks January Bride for such a fantastic recipe! *Made for Bev Tag*