Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was inspired by Diners Freezer Salsa. Diner's Freezer Salsa . I was looking for a method to freeze salsa, and this worked just perfectly. I only used a few ingredients, and my family loves it. I found out through trial and error that onions makes it sweet, so I leave them out. Another great thing about this is you don't have to make gallons. Just use however many tomatoes that need to be used, and alter the jalapenos and spices to suit your taste. The last batch I made just 2 days ago was almost inhaled by my youngest son. I had only one small bag to put in the freezer. That makes it all worthwhile.
- Plunge tomatoes in boiling water for one minute.
- Remove and let cool till you can handle them comfortably.
- Core, peel, chop and place in large pot (a dutch oven works great).
- Dice jalapenos and add to tomatoes.
- Wear gloves if your hands are sensitive to peppers.
- Add cumin, salt and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, till reduced almost by half.
- This will take 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool and place desired amount in freezer bags.
- Place in freezer.