Recipe by Montana Heart Song
I didn't have fresh green or red peppers to make Spanish Rice so I used a can of zucchini in Italian tomato Sauce Wow! With the spices it was great! You can use any leftover cubed cooked meat or serve plain. Great the next day also. This is a good make ahead dish and bake later. You will be surprised with the great flavor!
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 (15 ounce) can zucchini with Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 -5 cups cooked white rice
- 1 -2 cup cooked cubed pork (optional) or 1 -2 cup beef (optional) or 1 -2 cup venison (optional) or 1 -2 cup elk meat (optional) or 1 -2 cup buffalo (optional)
- Pam cooking spray
- aluminum foil
Directions See How It's Made
- In small mixing bowl, add the first seven ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl pour the zucchini and sauce. Chop the zucchini in one inch pices.
- Add the tomato sauce, rice and meat, if desired.
- Mix gently.
- With a rubber spatula pour out the onion and spice mixture and mix in slowly so it is absorbed throughout the dish.
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Spray Pam in a glass flat pyrex dish.
- Spread the rice evenly.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 40-45 minutes.
- Note: If chilled before baking, bake another 15 minutes.