Prep 1 min
Cook 3 mins
A simple, quick, delicious breakfast for any day of the week. This recipe is for 1 person but you can adjust the quantity depending on how many people you are feeding, etc.
- Bring your pot of water to a boil.
- Crack your egg open into a small bowl.
- Once your water has boiled, turn it down to a simmer.
- Gently transfer your egg into the simmering water.
- Cook the egg for 3 minutes.
- Gently remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon and place on buttered toast or eat as is.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper (optional).
This is a great, basic recipe to keep in mind for a quick, balanced breakfast. When I was in Scotland, we stayed in a bed and breakfast where a two-egg version of this was ordered daily by a young, newly married man. The innkeeper referred to it as a "Marilyn Monroe"!
We poach the egg in the microwave but this is undoubtedly my husband's favorite breakfast and lunch. Easy and light on the calories!
One of my favorite breakfasts. One tip I could give is to add a splash of vinegar to the water it really helps hold the egg together!! Thanks for posting!