Recipe by Tish
Here is a basic recipe, which can be used by itself or added to. Note that once the miso is stirred into water, it should not be boiled, otherwise its beneficial enzymes will be destroyed.
Top Review by Maito
I made this with the lower amount of miso, and it was quite weak, which is why we rated it three stars. I would recommend trying the higher amount. It was fun to make miso soup from scratch.
- 6 cups water
- 2 slices kombu seaweed (sea vegetable, each 3 X 5-inch)
- 2 -4 tablespoons miso, to taste
Add one (or more) of the following
- diced tofu
- cooked chinese noodles
- finely chopped scallion
- grated fresh daikon radishes or turnip
- crisp cucumber, seeded and grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the water and kombu in a soup pot and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the kombu.
- Add in your desired additions.
- Dissolve the desired amount of miso in just enough warm water to make pourable.
- Stir into the broth and remove from the heat.
- Serve at once.