Recipe by Cooky Doe
I came up with this recipe when I realized that I needed to use a whole chicken in the freezer. I did a cold water bath for an hour before I put it in the crock pot and it defrosted to the perfect point for me to work with. You may need to adjust your time based on a frozen/thawed chicken and your size. All I know is that this chicken fell apart in the crockpot before I could even serve it! I highly recommend green beans and mashed potatoes with this. And the broth can be used to make a gravy if you'd like
Top Review by randy.w.lyons
Flavorless and dry (maybe it was dry because I went 8 hours rather than 5 1/2, the last hours on low). But still flavorless! The broth created would have made a good base for a dumpling soup though! I must admit that the chicken did "fall off the bone", in fact so much so that I had to retrieve much of it from the crock pot with a slotted spoon (even that was dry and flavorless). The meat left over won't even make a good sandwich without a lot of mayonaise! I'm sticking with the "beer can", rotisserie or baked chicken from here on out. Or, stewed with veggies to make soup with dumplings...
- 1 medium whole chicken
- 1 white onion
- 3 -4 celery ribs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- poultry seasoning
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Defrost chicken to at least 75%. This can be done safely in about an hour doing a cold water bath in the sink. When defrosted rinse and pat dry.
- Stuff chicken with celery and onion.
- Set chicken breast up in the crockpot. Sprinkle generously and evenly with paprika, poultry seasoning. Use black pepper to taste.
- Pour cream of celery soup directly on top on chicken.
- Pour 3 cups of chicken broth around the outside of your chicken.
- Cover and start crock pot on high for approximately 5-5.5 hours depending on the size of your chicken chicken size and how frozen it is.