Recipe by BakeGirl23
Forget Jiffy! Here's my mom's cornbread recipe that she's been using for years.
Top Review by CoffeeB
This was o.k. but not the best cornbread I've made. Maybe my cast-iron skillet was a bit too large?? I used a 10 1/2 inch. I followed your directions exactly as written and it was finished baking in 20 minutes. Not much taste and quite dry, although I know cornbread does have a dry texture anyway, but this was unusually so. I wish this would have worked out better. Made for Fall 08' PAC~
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet that will be used to cook cornbread.
- Combine all ingredients except butter in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Pour melted butter into batter and stir until blended.
- Pour batter into skillet. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until done (depends on your oven.) Serve hot.
- Extra: This recipe is simple yet tricky. My mother makes this perfectly. But I don't make it so perfectly, I have even tried making it in the presence of her, and it still doesn't come out right. Sometimes mine comes out flat and dry. While my mom's comes out fluffy and moist. We both use the exact same recipe.
- I really believe that it depends on how you much you stir. Do not over stir, do not under stir the batter. But when it's done right, it comes out fantastic.
- So, try at your own risk.